Straight from the Kanel kitchen, a deliciously creamy concoction—but surprise! There’s not a drop of dairy here. Instead, prepare this unbelievably satisfying soup with full-fat coconut milk and add a dash of our Butcher’s Block seasoning to enhance the mushrooms’ earthiness. Delicious year-round but especially perfect on those chilly nights.
What you'll need
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 16 oz button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour (or gluten-free flour if preferred)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 tbsp Butcher’s Block
- 1 ½ cups full-fat coconut milk
- Optional toppings: olive oil, apple chips, crispy fried garlic
- In a large soup pot, melt the vegan butter over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, onion, and garlic and sauté until the mushrooms have softened and browned. Sprinkle over the flour, stir in, and cook 1 minute more.
- Pour in the vegetable broth, coconut milk and Butcher’s Block. Use your spoon to scrape the bottom of the pan and remove any bits stuck to the bottom. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 5 minutes, to thicken slightly.